563 0
563 0

I was stunned the first time I heard about Hira Ratan Manek (HRM). I was of course skeptical of the idea of a man who has methodologically been staring at the sun for long periods of time as a way to gain the nutrients we need for our survival and therefore forgo the need to …   Read More

I was stunned the first time I heard about Hira Ratan Manek (HRM). I was of course skeptical of the idea of a man who has methodologically been staring at the sun for long periods of time as a way to gain the nutrients we need for our survival and therefore forgo the need to ingest foods. It is not unbelievable for the hordes of people around of the world who practice what has been called the HRM phenomenon or sun gazing. When you look for definitions of sun gazing on the Internet you will find many warnings about the practice, because of the danger of retinopathy, which means damage to the retina that can result in blindness. Practitioners do not deny this danger, however they advice that if you do this practice right, you can benefit from its many reported benefits without facing the threat of blindness. For example, boosted production of melatonin and seratonim, increased energy levels, increased size of pineal gland, weight loss etc. As of now, there is no scientific proof to all of these benefits. However there was a study HRM has by scientists from Penn State University in conjunction with scientists from India where they monitored him and observed him in a hospital in India for 24 hours and for a period of 120 days. After which point it was concluded that his claim was right, the body seemed to respond positively to the rays of the sun, not so differently than plants do.

Hira Ratan Manek (HRM) claims to be living purely off the sun and liquids.

HRM made a pilgrimage to the Himalayas in 1995 and it was after this trip he began this practice. Now HRM claims to have been practicing it for 8 years. He claims that the reason we use only 5% of our brain is because we have not nourished the correct way of activating the remainder 95%, which he believes can be activated through the practise of sun gazing. The independent group Collective Evolution, which is based in Toronto, Canada produced a series of documentaries titled Collective Evolution I and II, which are available for free, thanks to YouTube. The interesting thing about the film is that it details about the members of the movement who practice sun gazing and who are very keen to express their positive experiences. News of a “Buddha Boy” have gone viral of social media; it’s about a boy who has been sitting under a tree and not consuming any food or water for 10 months. Stories of people not eating and going on living have come from different directions and many been debunked. The story of HRM and now Buddha Boy are interesting because there has been some experimentation of credible sources about the possibility that these reported anomalies are actually true. A crew from the Discovery Channel did a documentary about Buddha Boy; in this show they were able to film the boy for a period of 96 days and they were able to observe that the boy did not ingest food of drinks for that period. The interesting thing is that an average human being can only go on living without  food or water for a maximum period of 3 to 4 days. After this point, a person would mostly die. After 96 hours of filming, Buddha Boy was not only able to survive but also did not show any signs of dehydration, which suggests that he was able to produce water; according to the locals and believers through meditation alone. Now back to sun gazing, it seems that more than the feat of meditating for long periods of time, the practice of sun gazing is more replicable by the regular folk. At the end of the day, the best way to test it is to try it for oneself  because if what is claimed turns out to be true, it has the potential to greatly impact the way we live our lives. After all, think of how many illnesses occur because of what we drink and ingest?

In this article

Join the Conversation